Unmanaged stormwater damages roads, bridges, private properties and stream banks.

    Stormwater is water from rain or melting snow that doesn't soak into the ground but runs off into
    waterways. It flows from rooftops, over paved areas and bare soil, and through sloped lawns while
    picking up a variety of materials on its way. As it flows, stormwater runoff collects and transports soil,
    animal waste, salt, pesticides, fertilizers, oil and grease, debris and other pollutants. The quality of
    runoff is affected by a variety of factors and depends on the season, local meteorology, geography and
    upon activities which lie in the path of the flow.

    Stormwater gathers a variety of pollutants that are mobilized during runoff events. Polluted runoff
    degrades our lakes, rivers, wetland and other waterways. Transported soil clouds the waterways and
    interferes with the habitat of fish and plant life.

    Nutrients such as phosphorus and nitrogen can promote the overgrowth of algae, deplete oxygen in the
    waterway and be harmful to other aquatic life. Toxic chemicals from automobiles, sediment from
    construction activities and careless application of pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers threaten the
    health of the receiving waterway and can kill fish and other aquatic life. Bacteria from animal wastes
    and illicit connections to sewerage systems can make nearby lakes and bays unsafe for wading,
    swimming and the propagation of edible shellfish. According to an inventory conducted by the United
    States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), half of the impaired waterways are affected by
    urban/suburban and construction sources of stormwater runoff.

    Polluted runoff can create environmental & public health and safety problems. Polluted stormwater is
    one of the nation's greatest threats to clean water. In the Southern Tier, stormwater runoff is a key
    source of pollution.

    What can you do as a Homeowner to offset the effects of stormwater?  CHECK IT OUT AT:  RAIN

Are your parcels
eligible for

Talk to your
local assessor
to determine
    Ag Assessment & Soil Group Worksheets

    Landowners wishing to file for an agricultural assessment in 2013 must file with their local assessor by March 1st. In
    order to this you first have a Soil Group Worksheet prepared by the Soil & Water Conservation District for each tax
    parcel you intend to enroll.

     Determining Eligibility: What is Considered "Agriculatural Land"
           Land considered as agricultural includes: croplands, farm woodlands, pastures, orchards, vieyards,
           sugarbush, support lands, and crop acreage either set aside or retired under Federal supply manage-
            ment or soil conservation programs.
Land generally must consist of 7 or more acres used in the preceding 2 years for the production or sale of
crops, livestock, or livestock products.
The annual gross sales of agricultural products generally must average $10,000.00 or more for the preceding 2
years.  (<7 acres must earn $50,000+)
Equine: Must be 7+ acres, board 10+ horses, and generate $10,000+ in boarding and agricultural product
A startup operation may quilify based on its annual gross sales of agricultural products in the operation's first
or second year .
If rented land satisfies the basic eligibility requirements described above, it is eligible for an agricultural assessment. In addition,
if the rented land does not satisfy the average gross sales value requirement, but does satisfy the other requirements, it may
still be eligible if it is farmed, under a written rental agreement of at least
five years, with other farmland that satisfies all
eligibility requirements.
This exemption does not apply to farm buildings and/or residences.
Eligibility is determined by the Town Assessor or Board of Assessors, not by the Soil & Water Conservation

     Maintaining Eligibility:
Landowners who have previously had a soil group worksheet completed for a tax parcel do not need a new
one unless the total parcel acreage changed. If the parcel has changed contact the Soil & Water Conservation
District and request a revised worksheet.
Agricultural land does not automatically receive an agricultural assessment exemption; Landowners must apply
each year with their assessor to remain eligible.

    Contact the Allegany County Soil & Water Conservation District (SWCD) office at 585-268-5840 to have a soil group
    worksheet completed. You will need to have your current tax bill (for each parcel) available when you call, so that a
    member of the SWCD staff can collect necessary information over the phone. There is a $25.00 per parcel charge for  
    worksheets. Worksheets are completed in the order they are requested. Once the worksheet it completed you will be
    contacted so that you can make an appointment to review, sign and pick up your worksheet(s). If you have any
    questions give us a call.
What is


Why Should
I Care?
January 1, 2016               New Year's Day
January 18, 2016         Martin Luther King
February 12, 2016         Lincoln's Birthday
February 15, 2016             President's Day
May 30, 2016                     Memorial Day
July 4, 2016                 Independence Day
September 5, 2016                   Labor Day
October 10, 2016               Columbus Day
November 11, 2016             Veteran's Day
November 24-25, 2016         Thanksgiving
December 25, 2016                   Christmas
January 19, 2016                        5:00 PM
February 16, 2016                       5:00 PM
March 15, 2016                           5:00 PM
April 19, 2016                             6:00 PM
May 17, 2016                              6:00 PM
June 21, 2016                              6:00 PM
July 19, 2016                               6:00 PM
August 16, 2016                          6:00 PM
September 20, 2016                     6:00 PM
October 18, 2016                         6:00 PM
November 15, 2016                      5:00 PM
December 20, 2016                      5:00 PM
5390 County Road 48, Lot A
Belmont,  NY  14813
(585) 268-5840
PLEASE NOTE: Due to decreased staff we do not have a secretary in the office during
regular business hours.  At certain times all employees are in the field working.  It is
recommended that you call ahead to make an appointment.  If you need an Ag
Assessment Sheet done for tax purposes please follow the form on this page for the Ag
Assessment Request Form.  If you would like to make an appointment to meet with one
of us please call the following individuals:
Scott Alsworth: Ag Planning,  Forestry
Ryan Paulsen: District Technician, Ag Assessments,
Leonard Preston: Engineering, Stream Permits, Technical Advice
Scott Torrey: Executive Director, CNMP Planning